Cashew cream cheese
A creamy, zesty dip excellent with crackers, veggie sticks or as a dairy replacement in Mexican food, sandwiches and soups
Write a review
- 3 cups of raw, unsalted cashew pieces
- 1.5 cups water
- 2-3 Probiotic capsules, or 1-2 tablespoons kimchee or sauerkraut starter
- Salt to taste (roughly 2 tsp to 1 Tbs)
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 2 hours, but no longer than 12 hours
- Drain and discard the water out of the cashews
- Add soaked cashews, water and probiotics to the Vitamix or blender. If using capsules, break capsule and only use contents. Blend until mixture is smooth and there are no chunks left. This can take some time. It’s helpful if you have a spoon to stir the mixture when the blender is off as it will be pretty thick.
- Once mixture is smooth, pour it into a bowl, cover it with a clean dish towel and let it sit in a warm place for 12-24 hours. Often time the mixture will rise and brown at the top as the probiotics digest the cashews.
- Add in salt o taste
- Refrigerate. Cheese will last for up to 3 weeks in the fridge
- I buy my cashews from Trader Joe's. They’re not organic, but each bag is exactly 3 cups.
- Feel free to cut the recipe in half when you first try it out.
- Experiment with a sweet cashew cheese. Instead of adding salt, add vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup. You can also add cacao powder. Frost a cake with it or have a small bowl of cashew pudding! YUM!
Pernell Wellness http://pernellwellness.com/