Coconut curry butternut squash soup
A delicious, warming soup that's a nice blend of sweet and savory.
Write a review
- 1 large butternut squash, baked until soft
- 1 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs Coconut oil
- 2 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 Tbs minced ginger root
- 4 cups basic bone broth (see bone broth recipe under "soups") or veggie broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 tsp of salt (or to taste)
- Cayenne to taste (optional)
- Bake the butternut whole in the oven at 350 degrees for 60 to 90 minutes, or until soft.
- Let the butternut cool. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Scoop out the meat of the squash, discarding the skin, and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add in chopped onion and curry powder and sauté until onions have caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients plus 2-4 cups of water (depending on how thick you like your soup). Either use a hand blender (this is ideal) to puree soup, or pour it into a blender to puree.
- Bring soup up to temperature over medium heat and let simmer for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to come out.
- Serve into a bowl and enjoy topped with cashew cream cheese (see recipe under "dips")
Pernell Wellness http://pernellwellness.com/