Mexican black beans
Great for tacos, burritos or other Mexican fare
Write a review
- 2 cups dry black beans
- 1 white, yellow or purple onion
- 1-2 Tbs butter, ghee,coconut or grape seed oil
- 3-4 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sea salt to start
- cayenne to taste
- Juice of 1-2 limes
- Soak beans for 12-24 hours. Rinse and drain.
- In a large pot or crock pot, add enough water to cover the beans by a few inches. Cook on low heat (gentle simmer) for 60-90 minutes or until almost fully cooked.
- Drain some water if beans have a lot of excess water.
- In a separate pot, heat up oil/butter. Add onion, cumin, and chili powder and sauté for a few minutes until onions soften.
- Add beans. Stir in garlic, lime juice, cayenne and salt to taste. Let the beans cook until completely soft and flavors have blended.
- Enjoy with brown rice, quinoa, eggs or in tacos.
- If beans taste bland, try adding more salt, lime juice or spices.
Pernell Wellness http://pernellwellness.com/